Dr. Paul Mittermiller
Dr. Mittermiller grew up in Southern California and attended college at Yale University, where he earned a degree in Biomedical Engineering. Prior to starting medical school, he was awarded a scholarship during which he lived in Germany and interned with a surgical robotics group. He attended medical school at UCSF and trained in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery residency at Stanford University.
After completing training at Stanford, he went to New York University for specialty fellowship training in Craniofacial Surgery under the tutelage of Dr. Roberto Flores, Dr. David Staffenberg, and Dr. Eduardo Rodriguez. During his fellowship, Dr. Mittermiller participated in the world’s first successful face and double hand transplant, led by Dr. Eduardo Rodriguez, and underwent specialty training in facial feminization surgery.
He returned to Los Angeles following fellowship training where he worked at Del Rey Face alongside Dr. Keojampa.
In 2023, Dr. Mittermiller joined Align Surgical Associates (www.alignsurgical.com), a group of world-class gender affirming surgeons, and is working with them in their Los Angeles office.
Dr. Mittermiller has been actively involved in research during college, medical school, residency, and fellowship to further advance the field of plastic surgery. He has published multiple peer-reviewed research articles. One article was selected as the Best Pediatric/Craniofacial Paper of the year in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, the official journal of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
When Dr. Mittermiller is not performing surgery, you can find him running or cycling around LA, tending to his bonsai garden, following cooking instructions from his wife, or walking the family’s cocker spaniel-poodle mix, Ollie.
Education and Training
Yale University – B.S. in Biomedical Engineering
UCSF – University of California, San Francisco – Medical Degree (M.D.)
Stanford University – Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Residency Training
NYU – New York University – Craniofacial Surgery Fellowship
Journal Articles (Peer-Reviewed)
- Mittermiller PA and Staffenberg DA. Ian Jackson’s Sphincter Pharyngoplasty. The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, 2021;32(35): 1239-1241
- Haeberle A, Alkofahi H, Qiao J, Safer DL, Mittermiller PA, Menorca R, Trickey AW, Girod S. Body Image Disturbance and OCD Symptoms Improve after Orthognathic Surgery. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 2020;78(11): 2054-2060
- Mittermiller PA, Rochlin DH, Menard RM. Endoscopic Spring-Mediated Distraction for Unilambdoid Craniosynostosis. The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, 2020;31(7): 2097-2100
- Mittermiller PA, Martin S, Johns DN, Perrault D, Jablonka EM, and Khosla RK. Improvements in Aesthetic Outcomes of Cleft Lip Repair with the Anatomic Subunit Repair in Comparison to the Rotation-advancement Repair. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Global Open, 2020;8(6): e2919
- Zhou JY, Mittermiller PA, Johannet P, and Curtin C. Acute Extensor Tenosynovitis due to Disseminated Gonococcal Infection. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Global Open, 2019;7(9): e2432
- Jablonka EM, Wu RT, Mittermiller PA, Gifford K, and Momeni A. 3-DIEPrinting: 3D-printed Models to Assist the Intramuscular Dissection in Abdominally Based Microsurgical Breast Reconstruction. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Global Open, 2019;7(4): e2222-2224
- Mittermiller P, Bidwell S, Thieringer F, Cornelius CP, Trickey A, Kontio R, Girod S, and the AO Trauma Classification Study Group. The Comprehensive AO CMF Classification System for Mandibular Fractures: A Multicenter Validation Study. Craniomaxillofacial Trauma and Reconstruction, 2019;12(4): 254-265
- Rochlin DH, Mittermiller PA, Sheckter CC, and Menard RM. The Pushback Pharyngeal Flap: A 17-Year Experience. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2019;143(6): 1246e–1254e
- Andrew, TW, Baylan, J, Mittermiller, PA, Cheng H, Johns DN, Edwards MSB, Cheshier SH, Grant GA, and Lorenz HP. Virtual Surgical Planning Decreases Operative Time for Isolated Single Suture and Multi-suture Craniosynostosis Repair. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Global Open, 2018;6(12): e2038 1-7
- Mittermiller P, Sethi H, Morbia RP, Johns D, Baylan J, Lorenz HP, and Khosla RK. Anatomic nasal lining flaps for closure of the nasal floor in unilateral and bilateral cleft lip repairs reduce fistulas at the alveolus. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2018;142(6): 1549-1556
- Sheckter CC, Mittermiller P, Hung K, Maan Z, Rochlin D, and Menard RM. Single Stage Repair of #30 Facial Cleft with Bone Morphogenic Protein. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Global Open, 2018;6(11): e1937 1-3
- Mittermiller PA, Yeom KW, and Menard RM. Isolated Intraorbital Frontosphenoidal Synostosis. The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, 2018;29(1): 82-87
- Mittermiller PA, Sheckter CC, and Most SP. Efficacy and safety of titanium miniplates for patients undergoing septorhinoplasty. JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery, 2018;20(1): 82-84
- Mittermiller P, Nazerali R, Glaus S, Luan A, Perez M, and Lee GK. Delayed prosthetic breast reconstruction without the use of acellular dermal matrix. European Journal of Plastic Surgery, 2017;40(6): 533-540
- Miri S, Mittermiller P, Buchanan EP, and Khosla R. Facial Twist (Asymmetry) in Isolated Unilateral Coronal Synostosis. The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, 2015;26(3): 655-657.
- Russell JR, Huang J, Anand P, Kucera K, Sandoval AG, Dantzler KW, Hickman D, Jee J, Kimovec FM, Koppstein D, Marks DH, Mittermiller PA, Núñez SJ, Santiago M, Townes MA, Vishnevetsky M, Williams NE, Vargas MPN, Boulanger L-A, Bascom-Slack C, and Strobel SA. Biodegradation of polyester polyurethane by endophytic fungi. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 2011;77(17): 6076-6084
- Cohen SR, Pryor L, Mittermiller PA, Meltzer HS, Levy ML, Broder KW, and Ozgur BM. Nonsyndromic Craniosynostosis: Current Treatment Options. Plastic Surgical Nursing: Official Journal of the American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgical Nurses, 2008;28(2): 79-91
- Cohen SR, Mittermiller PA, Holmes RE, and Broder KW. Clinical experience with a new fast-resorbing polymer for bone stabilization in craniofacial surgery. The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, 2006;17(1): 40-43
- Mittermiller PA, Rochlin DH, and Lorenz HP. Solitary Fibrous Hamartoma of Infancy. In Krakowski AC (Ed.) Pediatric Procedural Dermatology, Wolters Kluwer; 2020: 392
- Mittermiller PA, Sheckter CC, and Lorenz HP. Median Raphe Cyst. In Krakowski AC (Ed.) Pediatric Procedural Dermatology, Wolters Kluwer; 2020: 337
- Mittermiller P, Baylan J, Johns D, and Lorenz HP. Iliac Crest and Rib Bone Grafts. In Evans G (Ed.), Operative Plastic Surgery, 2nd Ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 2019: 79-83
- Rodrigues M, Mittermiller PA, Padmanabhan J, and Gurtner, GC. Progenitor and Stem Cell Heterogeneity: Using Big Data to Divide and Conquer. In Atala A, Lanza R, Mikos T, and Nerem R (Eds.), Principles of Regenerative Medicine, 3rd Ed: Elsevier; 2017: 93-111
- Niranjan, N, Fox, P, Mittermiller P, Lee G, Evans K, and Mushtaq I. Genitourinary and Perineal Reconstruction. In: Farhadieh R, Bulstrode N, and Cugno S (Eds.), Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: Approaches and Techniques. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.; 2015: 575-596
- Cohen SR, Mittermiller PA, Meltzer HS, Levy ML, Broder KW, and Ozgur BM. Nonsyndromic Craniosynostosis: Current Treatment Options. In: Thaller S, Garri JI, and Bradley JP (Eds.) Craniofacial Surgery. New York: CRC Press; 2007: 83-102
Dr. Mittermiller is a member and supporter of WPATH (World Professional Association for Transgender Health).